Monday, January 21, 2013

Beef Barley Soup-Freezer Challenge Day One

I am going to split this challenge up. Even though I am prepping and freezing all of the meals in a couple of days, I decided it would better serve my readers to separate things out to make it all easier. Plus... better that I actually try the meal and say whether or not it was successful before posting the recipe and instructions! It only makes sense. Today I start out with Beef Barley Soup!


So I'll admit. I didn't actually freeze this one... BUT, it should most definitely be a freezer friendly meal! I will be freezing the leftovers though. I was planning on making it for dinner and didn't see the point in prepping it and sticking it in the freezer first. If you want this to fit into a 6 quart slow cooker, I recommend halving the recipe. The full recipe did not fit in mine, and I ended up having to leave the potatoes out. Boy am I wishing that I owned a large stock pot!! Though I got a sewing machine for Christmas this year that is almost identical to the one a friend gave me in the Fall... so when I take it back, maybe I will finally purchase a stock pot. While I'm at it I will probably buy some more supplies for soap making too, since I have been wanting to try it out.

Okay....no more being distracted.. On to the soup! It was delicious, and I mean... oh so good. It is rare that I am able to make any stew type soup good. Most of the time I fail. I cannot for the life of me figure it out but I've never been good at making stew! It might have something to do with the fact that I use to use moose meat(and I do not have enough experience with it). But we are out of moose(except for maybe 1 small piece of roast laying in the bottom of the freezer) so I used beef this time. Maybe next year, after hubby has a chance to do some hunting, I will post some moose recipes. Broccoli Beef for one is AMAZING when you use moose meat.(not that it's not amazing otherwise!)

The blog that this recipe originates from mentions eating the soup with butter spread onto saltine crackers. I used to think my husband was crazy for doing that exact thing. Why add butter where you don't absolutely need it? But they are all right. Nothing tops this soup off like those wonderful salty crackers with butter on top.
This could not have come at a better time. I have had a bad cold for the past week, and our son is also sick, so soup is just what we needed!

I used stew meat instead of the rump roast so that I wouldn't have to shred it later. If you do the same it should take a few hours less time to cook. Also... don't add extra barley without adding lots of extra liquid. Hubs loves lots of barley in his beef vegetable soup so I added extra and it turned out not quite as soupy as I would have liked. He doesn't seem to ever have any complaints though, lol. I am the one who is considered the critic in this household.





Ingredients
  • 3 lb bottom round rump roast
  • 3 cups water
  • 3 tablespoons Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
  • Wyler’s beef bullion cubes
  • stalks of celery thinly sliced
  • 1 lb bag of baby carrots thinly sliced
  • 1 large onion diced
  • 15oz can of corn drained
  • 14oz cans of cut green beans drained
  • 29oz cans of Hunt’s Petite Diced tomatoes do not drain
  • 6-8 medium red potatoes peeled and diced
  • 1 cup pearled barley    


  • Directions
  • In a slow cooker on high, add beef, water, bullion cubes, diced carrots, onion and celery.


Cover and cook on high for 5 hours.
Add tomatoes with juices, corn, green beans, potatoes, and barley, plus extra water if needed. Cook for another 4-5 hours on high.
Using a fork, shred the beef into the soup and stir.

To freeze: In one bag add beef, water, beef bullion, diced carrots, onion, and celery. (write #1 on bag)
In second bag add tomatoes, corn, green beans, and potatoes. (write #2 on bag)
Leave out seasoning and pearled barley.
Place both bags in one large ziplock. Write on bag: Cook bag #1 plus 3 T seasoning salt on high 5 hours. Add bag #2 plus 1 cup barley(plus 1 cup water it needed). Cook for another 4-5 hours on high.

Freeze leftovers for future meals.


Original recipe from http://foodfamilyfinds.com/slow-cooker-vegetable-beef-barley-soup-recipe/
BTW her's looks WAY better than mine turned out... but that's probably because she took care in how she took her picture and probably didn't add the extra barley that soaked up all the water, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment